Monday, September 5, 2011

Mercy Metric 10k Recap

My training schedule called for a 10k race this weekend. I decided to find one to sign up for because I knew I would push myself harder if I were actually racing. I stumbled upon the Mercy Metric 10k on the race dmc website. I had never heard of this race before and was surprised to see that this was its 33rd year. This was an inexpensive race at $15 ($20 if you wanted a water bottle  and a headband.)

This race took place at the Lunken Airport Playfield. I was happy to find ample parking near the starting line. The weather was a cool 51 degrees and cloudy. Perfect running weather!

The Mercy Metric offered a 5k run/walk and a 10k run. The 5k started 5 minutes before the 10k. This worked very nicely in clearing the porta potty line so I could stop in one more time!

I started in a good spot not too far in the front, where everyone would pass me, but not too far in the back where other runners would delay me. I also got a good view of the competition. The first place runner in each age group received a metal and D told me to bring one home for him.

The race followed a bike path around the airport; most of the trail was wooded which was a good shield from the wind. There was a short steep hill during mile 2, the only uphill in the course.

We passed some airplanes around mile 4 which made a good change in scenery. About the middle of mile 5 there was a downhill, which continued until the 6-mile marker. With .2 left we turned the corner and headed to the finish!

The course was relatively easy. This was a very small race so crowd support was basically nonexistent. Luckily, I found some one to run with around the same pace as me or I would have probably run slower through the wooded sections.

My goal for this race was to run under an 8min/mile pace and to beat my time at last years Thanksgiving Day Race. I accomplished both of my goals finishing in 48:58 with a pace of 7:54...
... and I got first place in my age group! 
Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment