Monday, October 10, 2011

Cyclones 5k Recap

Saturday night was the Cincinnati Cyclone's first ever 5k. The race cost 25 bucks and included: a technical shirt, a finisher's cup, 2 drink tickets, 1 pulled pork or chicken sandwich,  and a ticket to the exhibition game that night. (for those who don't know, the cyclones are our ECHL hockey team.)

I'm not going to lie, I had high expectations for my performance in this race. The intermediate training program I have been following for the Indy half marathon includes speed work so, I should be FAST, right? I was really hoping to break 23 minutes. I was a little weary about the fact that the race started at 5pm and not early in the morning when I'm used to racing. I figured it would probably be okay since I have been running after work so it wasn't completely unusual for me. I was also concerned with the temperature, a steamy 85 degrees! That's Cincinnati weather for ya, 40 last week 85 this week, wtf?

The race started at the Cincinnatus Statue at Sawyer point 

source
They didn't have a starting mat, so the chips automatically started when the horn sounded. We ran down the Serpentine Wall through Yeatman's Cove. The start was narrow and therefore a little crowded, but we turned a corner and headed into the streets of downtown Cincinnati.

The majority of the first mile was through a parking garage, which was a great relief from the heat. We ran out another half mile and made the turn back toward US Bank Arena. The course went down Mehring Way, passed Great American Ballpark and into the plaza between the two arenas. 

I can't be sure, but I think they had the mile markers a bit off my splits came out like this:
mile 1: 7:56:30
mile 2: 6:36:33
mile 3: 8:03:85
.1: 32:30
for a finish time of 23:03
My second mile didn't feel that fast, in fact I've never run that fast for a mile in my life; but, since I don't have a Garmin, I can't really be sure.

I ended up missing my goal by 3 seconds which blows! I must say though, that I'm very happy with my average pace of 7:25. I'm probably never going to PR on a 5k again because my current record is 21:42, which I ran my sophomore year in high school, but 23:03 is the closest that I have come since I have started running again.
I also got beat at the finish line by some one in my division, giving me a third place finish by 1 second, damn!

D ran a great race! He ended up with a finish time of 26:17 and an 8th place finish in his division! D is down for any race that comes with a T-shirt and beer, but he was excited about this race because he is a huge hockey fan.

At the finish they gave out water, Powerade, bananas, Lara bars and Nabisco snacks. The exhibition game was a blast and the Cyclones pulled out a win against the Wheeling Nailers in sudden death over time. I was impressed with how smoothly everything went down at this race considering it was the first running. It was great that the finish line was right outside the entrance to the hockey game. Although it was it a little hot for running, the weather was great for hanging out and having a couple beers before watching the game...

.. and racing Twister the team mascot. Obviously post race here considering the sexy pit sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment