Thursday, August 25, 2011

Finding Time to Train

At this point I am about half way through my half marathon training! I have been following Hal Higdon's intermediate half marathon training program. For my first half marathon this spring I followed the beginner program and I thought I could step it up a bit for my second half.
   I thought it was going to be very difficult to find the time running with the weather being SO hot this summer. I am not typically a morning person and I really LOVE my sleep. Seriously at least 8 hours a night please!!! While training for my first half I ran after work. Since the weather was much cooler training end winter/ early spring I had the freedom to run at any time of the day. I have found my favorite running temperature to be around 50 degrees.
    I quickly realized when I started training mid July with temperatures in the low 100s and unbelievable heat indexes that 5 o’clock pm was not going to be the best time for running. For the past six weeks I have been waking up about 6:45 am 4 days a week to run. BIG CHANGE for a sleep lover like me! It turns out that I really love morning runs! It’s so nice to be done first thing in the morning and have the rest of the day to work, cook, and hang out with D!
    Yesterday I cheated (a little) and slept in until 8am (actually 8:03 when D called and woke me up!) When I got home from work I cooked dinner, let that settle a bit and then ran on the treadmill. It just wasn’t the same. This morning I got up and made sure to get my run in before work and I am already feeling much better about today!
    Being a PTA I have the benefit of basically working in a gym, so later today I will do some lunges, planks, bridges, etc. followed by some stretching.
    Tonight D and I have tickets for a sneak preview of Colombiana.
Totally not my thing but D LOVES movies and it’s free. It should be a nice cheap Thursday date night!

TWRAWTS  

No comments:

Post a Comment